About Gymnastics Queensland
Gymnastics is one of the most fundamental and exciting of all physical activities. Basic gymnastic skills develop attributes that are perfect stepping stones for other sports, activities and life in general. Some of the important areas developed through gymnastics include flexibility, balance, strength, coordination, confidence and agility. Gymnastics provides an excellent health and fitness program for any age.
Within Queensland there are over 110 affiliated clubs available and providing a range of gymnastic programs for in excess of 32 000 athletes. The most important factor to consider when selecting a gymnastics program for yourself and/or your children is to ensure that the club is affiliated (and therefore meets the required minimum safety and insurance standards) and the coach taking the lessons is Accredited and a current Technical Member (therefore having undertaken appropriate training to ensure the required knowledge and expertise). There are currently 895 technical members through out Queensland.
Within gymnastics there are seven official Gymsports recognised from the International level down. Each Gymsport provides it's own unique style of gymnastics, involves different training programs and uses different equipment however, all Gymsports provide participants with event opportunities at local, State, National and International level.
The Queensland Gymnastic Association Inc., trading as Gymnastics Queensland since April 1997, was founded in 1949 and incorporated in 1984.
Gymnastics Queensland (GQ) is the peak body for Gymnastics in Queensland and is affiliated with Gymnastics Australia the controlling body for the sport of Gymnastics in Australia. The Association also maintains affiliation with relevant State Sporting Governing bodies such as the Queensland Olympic Council, Queensland Commonwealth Games Association and the Queensland Sports Federation. Gymnastics Queensland is a not-for-profit, Association incorporated under the 1981 Associations Incorporations Act. of Queensland, comprising of affiliated clubs, life members, registered athletes and technical members (coaches and judges). Gymnastics Queensland embraces the eight official Gymsports of gymnastics, which are:-
Men’s Artistic Gymnastics (MAG)
Women’s Artistic Gymnastics (WAG)
Rhythmic Gymnastics (RG)
General Gymnastics (GG)
Sport Aerobics (AER)
Trampoline Sports (TRP)
Sports Acrobatics (ACR)
The primary objectives of Gymnastics Queensland in accordance with its Constitution is to:-
- Encourage, develop, promote and control Gymsports throughout the State of Queensland
- Establish and maintain, throughout Queensland, a uniform code of rules and regulations to govern Gymsports under its jurisdictionDevelop a network of successful member clubs across Queensland to deliver quality Gymsport programs
- Provide services and support, to member clubs, coaches, judges and administrators, which is second to none.
- Encourage community health, welfare, physical education and research through gymnastics
- Regulate, supervise, coordinate and promote Gymsport activities, programs, competitions and events cooperation between members of the Association and external organisations, bodies and individuals
- Promote membership of the Association and foster the interests of its members
- Affiliate with organisations and any other bodies to further the purposes of the Association
- Provide a means by which Clubs in Queensland can become affiliated to further these purposes
The Association provides a broad range of services and benefits to its membership and has a major focus on servicing member clubs, to ensure they are well equipped to professionally delivery quality gymnastic programs to the community.